CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 22, 2019

Chicken and Swiss Salad


This salad is so divine. I still remember years ago when my friend made it for a little luncheon we did to reunite our little college group of friends. I'm not sure why I haven't posted it yet! I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables in our family meals, and since summer is coming I would like some of our dinners to be hearty salads. This is perfect for that! Some notes when I make this: I don't do the onion because my kids balk at onions. I also use bagged bacon pieces because it's just easier. I also like to half the dressing because not all my kids like sweet dressings and I prefer not to mix the dressing in so I can keep it fresh and divide it out in meal prep containers for the week. If you want to mix it all together with the salad I would suggest the full serving. :) 

Chicken and Swiss Salad
Recipe slightly adapted from my friend Lyndsie Field

1 head romaine lettuce
1 bunch spinach
1/2 red onion (optional)
8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
1 pound bacon, cooked and shredded (or pre-bought in the bag)
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shred *see note
1/2 cup candied almonds


Poppyseed Dressing:
1 cup sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
3 Tbsp poppyseeds

Poppyseed Dressing-Halved:

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1 1/2 Tbsp poppyseeds



Combine dressing ingredients and whisk together. Pour over salad before serving

*Super easy shredded chicken: Toss some frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot and cook on high for a few hours. I add a splash of chicken broth at the end along with some salt and pepper before shredding it up.






No comments: