CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Baked French Toast


This recipe is the best baked french toast out there. And given that its from The Pioneer Woman you shouldn't just take my word for it. I only bake it once a year for special occasions just for the not-so healthy factor, but I really need to make it at least in the monthly rotation because it's amazing. And plus it bakes while I'm at the gym early in the morning and breakfast is ready for the family when I walk in the door. Another reason why I'm going to have to start making it more often is because this time I used all my extra crusts and ends from when I was making my bimonthly uncrustables and it worked like a charm. So that was a huge win because I always feel bad throwing away so many crusts. Okay back to the recipe. Make sure you top it with Mom's butter syrup while you're at it! Heaven!

Baked French Toast
Recipe by The Pioneer Woman

1 loaf french bread (or day old bread clippings to the equivalent)
8 whole eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces

syrup and berries for serving

For the french toast: Grease a 9x13 baking pan with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. (Should fill up the pan to the top). Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed. (overnight preferably). Or you can make it and bake it right away. 

For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.

When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat the over to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from fridge and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture, or for 1 hour-plus or more for a firmer, crisper texture (that's how I like it). Scoop out individual portions and top with berries and a drizzle of syrup.

No comments: